Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Fall Activity Line-Up

I'm a fan of fall for many reasons. For instance, my birthday is in fall. Also, new episodes of my favorite TV shows begin in fall. Maybe my favorite part of fall, however, is the perfect New England weather. Every other season, there's an excuse to stay inside: winter can be too cold, spring too soggy, and summer causes excessive back sweat. But with fall, I try to be outside as much as I can.

If you're like me, and want some ideas for outdoor fall weekend activities, read on:

1) Pick some produce. With so many apple orchards and pumpkin patches nearby, the options are endless. Nashoba Valley Winery in Bolton, MA is a great choice. Not only can you go apple-picking, but they have an operational winery with full tours and tastings. Also, On Your Feet Project is providing transportation to their annual Bluegrass & Brews Festival on Sunday, October 25. Have fun and support a great cause at the same time!

2) Check out an outdoor museum. The DeCordova Museum and Sculpture Park in Lincoln, MA has some cool exhibits. Also, Fruitlands Museum in Harvard, MA is a great outdoor option, and, as luck would have it, free this weekend (along with dozens of other local museums) thanks to Smithsonian's National Museum Day.

3) Get lost. In a maze. Made of corn. Sounds like a winning combo to me. I've gone to Davis' Mega Maze in Sterling, MA for the last two years, and only had to cheat once. If you're looking for something a little closer to Boston, I've heard Connors Corn Maize in Danvers, MA is where it's at. This year's theme is Family Guy, i.e., they carved Brian and Stewie into a 7-acre corn field.

So much to do, and so little time. Before you know it, we'll have turned the clocks back, dressed up in silly costumes, eaten a coma-inducing turkey dinner, and we'll look outside and there will be a mysterious white covering on the ground. So get busy and enjoy the foliage!

No comments: