Friday, July 11, 2008

A New Experience

When I was younger, I would volunteer with my family. When I grew older, I wanted to continue to volunteer, but it wasn’t always easy to find an activity that was both fun and made me feel as though I had made a real impact. This changed when I became involved with Habitat for Humanity through my church.

I began in 8th grade, mostly going because my friends were going. We headed down in South Carolina for a nine day trip in the summer and I became hooked. Helping people and physically seeing the progress we were making on a daily basis was incredible. I had never felt so appreciated in my life.

I continued on to make two more trips to South Carolina, another to Michigan, and many within Virginia and West Virginia. It is easy to get involved as Habitat reaches people all over the U.S. and worldwide.

If you’re in college, check to see if there is an active Habitat club within your school. The best part is, you do not have to travel far to make a difference. No experience is needed! Habitat has an active chapter within Boston and several projects around the Boston area.

Check out http://www.habitat.org/ to get more information on what Habitat does, or
http://www.habitatboston.org/ to find some upcoming projects in this area.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nice picture!! You swing that hammer, girl.