January is Super Hunger Month, which benefits The Greater Boston Food Bank. The Greater Boston Food Bank partners with more than 600 hunger-relief agencies in the nine counties of eastern Massachusetts to provide food and grocery products for approximately 83,000 people each week and distribute nearly 30 million pounds of food annually.
The Super Hunger events taking place this month are:
- Boston Bruins Five For Fighting Hunger Can & Cash Drive: Bruins fans attending the January 17th game are encouraged to donate five cans or $5 to The Greater Boston Food Bank.
- Super Hunger Chef Challenge: A dinner hosted by the Four Seasons Hotel Boston where renowned chefs Jody Adams of Rialto, Marc Orfaly of Pigalle and Marco, and TV Celebrity Chef Jon Ashton try to out cook each other with food items donated to the Food Bank. Tickets are $250.
- Super Hunger Brunch: On Saturday & Sunday, January 26 and 27, some of Boston’s finest restaurants will be serving brunch and donating their time, food and services. Prix fixe menus are $25, $35, or $50. What a deal!
- Super Hunger Online Auction: Starting January 17, you can bid and possibly win culinary-themed items and packages such as cooking demonstrations, wine tastings and a weekend getaway.
- Super Hunger On Your Own: If none of the above isn’t right for you, you can still help. You can host a potluck at home and ask your guests to make a donation to support The Greater Boston Food Bank. Conduct a food drive, volunteer at the Food Bank or make a donation. I can personally say volunteering at the Food Bank is a rewarding experience and is a fun activity to do with a group of friends. We all play a role in ending hunger.