Pretty serious stuff. As a Midwesterner myself, this certainly hits home with me, quite literally. Although the rivers are now receding the people from the Midwest still need our help.
The Red Cross shows how a little money can go a long way:
- $25 provides five blankets at an emergency shelter.
- $75 can cover a doctor's visit for an individual injured in a disaster.
- $350 will provide emergency food and shelter for 25 disaster victims for one day.
- $2,500 deploys one Emergency Response Vehicle and drivers (including housing and meals for drivers) to a disaster relief operation.
- $3,200 is the average yearly maintenance and fuel for one Emergency
Through the American Red Cross Site you can also find opportunities to volunteer your time for those communities affected.
Related Posts: Quilting for a Cause - Midwestern Tornadoes, Tornadoes, Cyclones, and Disaster Relief, Oh My!, If I Had a Million Dollars
Photos courtesy of usatoday.com.