Thursday, April 10, 2008

Invite. Plant. Grow. Enjoy.

Yesterday I received a very unusual postcard in the mail. Hopefully in a year from now my unusual experience will be standard fare.

The first thing that I noticed about the postcard was the coarse paper. It was rough to the touch, the edges weren’t smooth, and it had a homemade feel. Upon closer inspection I realized that the bumpy, coarse event invitation was 100% biodegradable. “Very cool,” I thought. And, upon even closer inspection, I realized that the bumps were actually flower seeds imbedded into the paper. I’m not going lie, I got excited. And, I still might be, maybe just a little. Maybe.

Receiving the seeded postcard was like receiving a bundle of possibilities. “Will it really grow? Is this a gimmick? How does it work?”

Most plantable paper is embedded with wildflowers seeds. A mix of annual and perennial seeds includes, but is not limited to: Bird's Eye, Clarkia, Coreopsis, Poppy, Catchfly and Snap Dragon. To make plantable paper germinate you simply soak the paper in water, then spread a thin layer of soil over the paper and keep it moist for a few weeks while the seeds germinate.

Plantable paper can be used for: wedding favors, invitations, bulk paper, gifts, Christmas cards, Chanukah cards…the possibilities are endless. To see pictures and/or to order just search for “plantable paper” or “seeded paper” or
click here.

No comments: