Saturday, March 15, 2008

Getting away from it all

I don't know many people who don't like vacation. There are always a few workaholics who claim to hate time away, but I think they have bigger issues.

Vacation is a chance for us to get away, escape the mundane, leave behind our responsibilities and just concentrate on the here and now. You can go everywhere from the exotic to the green to a dude ranch (ride 'em, cowboy!).

More and more, people are choosing to go on humanitarian / volunteer vacations. Not only do you get to escape your own worries and cares, you can take on someone else's!! Cynical, perhaps, but all things considered, taking on someone else's worries and cares can be refreshing. You learn about someone else, and then act to help make a difference (if only a small one). For an opportunity of your own, visit CharityGuide.org.

This past week, I traveled to exotic New Hampshire. No computer, no email, no snail mail.. no cares, right? Sadly, real life follows you everywhere. My dad called about his website. My mom called about Easter brunch. I thought about one of my client's problems. My best friend texted me about restaurant week. My boyfriend's sister called to let us know his uncle died suddenly. Now there's some real life for you.

The lesson learned? No matter how far you travel or how hard you try, "real life" is right there, staring you in the face, whether it be through your cell phone or via your brain. The only way to truly escape is to learn how to relax, set aside your worries and cares, and just "be." And you don't have to travel far to do that.

What do you do to relax? Where do you want to go on your next vacation?


Chihuahuas like vacations too.


No comments: