The hugely anticipated movie I Am Legend, staring the well-known actor Will Smith, premieres today. Blockbuster actor Smith normally plays a legend on the silver screen but here is how you can be one IRL (In Real Life).
Granted, you might not have the same skills as The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, but you can still be a legend. How? Become a mentor. Impactful? For sure. The qualities of a successful mentor include, but are not limited to: being supportive, patient, people-oriented, a good motivator, respectful of others, an effective teacher, and self-confident.
Mentoring makes a measurable difference in both the lives of the mentor and mentee. MassMentors.org says that "all children have the potential to succeed in life and contribute to society. However, not all children get the support they need to thrive. Consider the many benefits mentoring offers, including:
- Improving self-esteem
- Keeping young people in school
- Helping to improve academic skills
- Leading young people to resources they might not find on their own
- Providing support for new behaviors, attitudes and ambitions
- Increasing young people's ability to seek and keep jobs
- Enhancing parenting skills”
Make your mark on this world, however small, and become someone’s legend.